Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Like Mother, Like Daughter

My 20 year old daughter taught herself to knit. I have been promising to take her to get lessons, because I can't teach her anything. (We end up arguing.) She got tired of waiting, and just sat down and figured it out.
You know how you always wanted to learn how to knit backwards, so you wouldn't have to turn your work around for shortrows? That is how she does it! Holds the yarn continental style, too! What a girl. She taught herself how to cast on, but used Sally Melville's "The Knit Stitch" to learn how to bind off.
I did take her to the LYS, and MJ taught her how to purl, so she doesn't have to knit backwards if she doesn't want to. She is now the proud owner of a little pink purse she made herself and a fringed scarf. She is now knitting a dishcloth worked on the diagonal, so she can practice increasing and decreasing.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Congratulations to daughter. I learned to knit the same way (I didn't have anyone to tell me to turn at the end of a row)